Laser Hair Removal: Benefits and What to Expect
Want to skip out on hiding those legs all winter long or missing out on the hot tub until summer? We have got the solution for you! Luxe. Salon & Spa is proud to offer the newest technology in laser hair removal, the Clear + Brilliant Pelo™ laser hair removal system as a part of our new Medi Spa. Laser hair removal is a method for getting rid of unwanted hair on the body. It involves using a concentrated beam of light (laser light) to destroy hair follicles.
The laser light is directed at hair follicles—small sacs in the skin where hair grows from—whose pigments absorb the light. The light energy is converted to heat, which then destroys or at least damages the hair follicles. After laser removal treatment, the hair doesn’t grow back for a long period of time, if ever, because of the damage that’s been done to the follicles.
Lasers can be used to remove hair from most body parts, and common areas it’s used for include the back, legs, arms, chest, face, and bikini area.
Benefits and Types
Laser hair removal has many benefits, especially when compared to other methods of hair removal:
- Laser hair removal is very fast, although the time it takes depends mainly on the size of the area being targeted. For example, it’ll definitely take longer to remove hair from your back than from your upper lip.
- The results last for a long time. Unlike other forms of hair removal like shaving and waxing where it takes days or weeks before the hair grows back, hair effectively removed by laser won’t grow back for several months or years. If/when it does grow back, the hair is finer (less coarse), lighter, and not as visible as it was before. In some cases, the hair is permanently gone and never grows back.
- It’s a very exact procedure, provided the person performing it is well trained and experienced. The laser beams work with precision and can target unwanted hair without damaging the skin around it.
The contrast in color between the hair follicle and your skin is what allows the laser to pick out and target the hair roots and follicles.
Before the Procedure
There’s some information it’s advisable you find out from our Medical Director and Nurse Practitioner, Kendra Johnson, before having this procedure done. It is best to meet for a free consultation, to go over your goals and the end result you are looking for.
You should also make sure to disclose any medical conditions (especially skin-related) you may have, as well as any medication you may be taking.
How to Prepare
If you’ve decided to have laser hair removal, there are a couple of things you should stay away from.
- Avoid sunless tanning. This includes spray tanning and the use of tanning beds.
- Avoid tanning under the sun. You should always protect your skin with sunscreen every single day.
- If possible, avoid sun exposure for at least six weeks to a month before and after your procedure.
- Hold off on other hair removal methods like threading, waxing, and electrolysis for at least a month before your procedure’s scheduled date. This is so that the follicles on the area you’ll be using the laser on won’t be disturbed.
During the Procedure
Before the procedure begins, the hair that’s to be removed will be trimmed very low, or your medical assistant might have instructed you to shave it the day before.
The skin area will be cleansed and numbing gel may be applied for an additional charge. If a numbing gel is applied, you can expect to wait 30 minutes to an hour for the effects of the gel to kick in.
You, the medical assistant, and everyone in the room where the procedure is taking place must wear protective eye gear. The medical assistant will hold the laser to your skin, pull it taut, and begin treating it.
Depending on the kind of laser being used, the medical assistant may use a special cooling agent or machine on your skin to protect it and reduce the possibility of you experiencing side effects.
Laser hair removal can be uncomfortable, and the sensation you may feel has been described as akin to warm pinpricks or rubber bands being repeatedly snapped against your skin. But it is nothing like a bikini wax!
You can expect to see results immediately—your hair will start to fall out in the following weeks. It’s also important that you follow your medical assistant’s instructions on protecting and taking care of your skin after your laser hair removal.
At Luxe. Salon & Spa, we have a great Medi Spa team that is available to answer questions and help you decide how to achieve your goals. Call us today to schedule your free consultation and take advantage of the monthly specials we offer our clients.
When: February 27th at 5:00pm
Where: Luxe. Salon and Spa
What: I’m sure you have heard by now but Luxe. Salon and Spa is now a full Medi Spa! During this event, we will be offering FREE B12 shots, live demos, exciting local pop-up shops, sips and dips, you will receive an ultimate swag bag, $100 off beauty bucks, a braid bar and MUCH MORE! You’re not going to want to miss this one!